by Staff Monkeys
- Newt Gingrich’s campaign hasn’t had the appearance of being fiscally conservative if you judge by its filings with the Federal Elections Commission. In fact, you might think Gingrich and Co. are spending money like drunken sailors — much like Congress does with our tax money. The FEC issued its second warning to the Gingrich campaign over financial irregularities, but the campaign says everything’s just fine.
- A 9-year-old girl died in Alabama Monday after being forced to run for three hours — for the crime of lying to her grandmother about eating a candy bar. The girl died at a hospital in Birmingham of problems brought on by extreme dehydration. She lived in a rural area about an hour northeast of Birmingham. Her grandmother and step-mother have both been arrested in connection with the death.
- An Iranian man has been sentenced to death for converting from Islam to Christianity. The 34-year-old father of two was arrested two years ago and has been the subject of a campaign by human rights groups, but he’s to be executed for the “crime” of apostasy. It’s not known when the sentence will be carried out or whether he will be allowed to appeal.
- If you’re dreading the possibility of $5 per gallon gasoline this summer, pity the drivers at some Florida gas stations who are already paying nearly $6 per gallon. Prices are always a bit higher in the area near Disney World, but these prices are crazy high.
- An Amish farmer in Pennsylvania who had been under attack by the federal government for selling raw milk has closed his farm. Government agents had raided his farm almost two years ago and he’s been under legal attack since then. Despite the fact that he was selling natural milk to people who knew what they were getting, it’s illegal to make your own choices.
- Barack Obama famously referred to there being 57 states four years ago. Maybe one of those states is Road Island. The White House sent out a schedule for Vice President Joe Biden saying that he was going to Road Island. An updated schedule was sent out explaining it was actually Rhode Island he was visiting.