by Staff Monkeys
- Get ready to pay $4 per gallon for gasoline and don’t be surprised to see it hit $5 per gallon by this summer, according to analysts who track the industry. Prices are spiking again because of political problems related to tensions between Iran and various western countries. If the price of gas gets that high, how long will it be before we hear calls for price caps — followed by inevitable shortages and gas lines?
- Many Dutch people are outraged at insane claims made recently by GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum that 10 percent of deaths in the Netherlands are due to euthanasia and that elderly people don’t even go to hospitals there for fear of being killed against their will. Whatever you think of the practice of euthanasia, Santorum is either making things up or not bothering to check his facts. Which is worse?
- As Santorum continues to gain strength as the leading social conservative challenger to Mitt Romney on the Republican side, Ron Paul attacked Santorum in an interview with CNN. Paul said Santorum has “an atrocious voting record” and said Santorum isn’t a real conservative.
- If you thought Russia was content with a military that’s nowhere near as muscular as it once was, think again. Vladimir Putin says Russia will spent roughly three quarters of a trillion dollars on military upgrades over the next decade. We’re taking bets on how long it will be before some jingoistic U.S. presidential candidate uses this as an excuse to spend more on the U.S. military.
- If there’s one thing that unites most students today, it’s hatred of school cafeteria food. The students at one Texas junior high school are so upset with the food at their cafeteria, though, that they staged a lunchroom boycott to demand better menus and healthier foods. (We figure they threw in the part about healthy foods to make their parents go along with it.)
- A man in a motorized wheelchair robbed a central Florida convenience store Sunday night, but he didn’t have the details of his escape worked out properly. His “getaway vehicle” got stuck in the sand behind the store as he tried to roll away. The hapless thief ended up getting himself stabbed during the robbery, but he managed to make it out with a pack of beer and a roll of electrical tape — before getting stuck in the sand.